18 December 2007

The SOE

I have been looking at Paul Hudak's book The Haskell School of Expression. My first barrier was getting the sample code to work under Ubuntu "Gutsy Gibbon." While I highly recommend Graham Hutton's book, which I think of as the K&R of Haskell, SOE is more of a tutorial and may be more useful to people who learn by doing. I got a bit of assistance from Paul Liu. It turns out that in addition to installing ghc using sudo apt-get install ghc, I needed to install libghc6-opengl-dev.

Without this, when I tried to configure GLFW using runhaskell Setup.hs configure, I got an error that said Setup.hs: cannot satisfy dependency OpenGL>=2.1. I went down a dead end of trying to figure out what kind of package I needed to install to give me the right OpenGL libraries, but the key was realizing that it is looking for the Haskell OpenGL library, not the system library.

This is not specifically mentioned in any of the docs I found online -- the only place I found it mentioned was on the Debian package list -- so I am mentioning it here! Maybe if someone with the same issue is Googling for the answer, they will now find it quicker.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks. That got me over that hurdle.

Paul R. Potts said...

davids, I'm glad someone found that useful! I have been too busy to do much with Haskell for a while, but I'm hoping to get back to it soon.